May 18, 2023
Revisions Published for UL 514D, Standard for Cover Plates for Flush-Mounted Wiring Devices
On May 18, 2023, UL Standards & Engagement (ULSE) published new revisions to UL 514D, the Standard for Cover Plates for Flush-Mounted Wiring Devices. This standard applies to metallic and nonmetallic cover plates and associated gaskets for flush-mounted wiring devices; integral and non-integral outlet box hoods; cover plates for flush-mounted wiring devices; and illuminating cover plates for flush-mounted wiring devices.
Revisions to this standard include:
- Addition of new Annex E for spring-tensioned contacts for illuminated cover plates
- Nonmetallic cover plate material over the face of a receptacle
- Clarification that either the “Hot Wire Ignition Method” or the “Glow-Wire Resistance Test” are acceptable and that conducting both is not required
- Spray direction when performing resistance to moisture tests for outlet box hoods used with raceway supported enclosures
- Exposed surface areas of hoods do not need flats to be eligible for impact tests
UL 514D is maintained through a consensus-based process, with input from stakeholders and members of TC 514D, the Technical Committee for Cover Plates for Flush-Mounted Wiring Devices. TC members represent a variety of interests, including industry, academia, government, retail, and manufacturing. If you are involved in the construction, installation, or inspection of wiring devices, and you would like to help improve safety in your industry, please take a moment to learn how you can get involved.