UL Standards & Engagement and SZSTI Sign Standards Cooperation Agreement
Partnership to include knowledge sharing and standards harmonization
UL Standards & Engagement and Shenzhen Urban Public Safety and Technology Institute (SZSTI) recently signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) to establish a framework for cooperation on local adoption of UL Standards with a focus on fire safety.
Under the terms of the MOU, the two organizations agree to several goals for their partnership, such as:
- Promote communication between the two organizations;
- Avoid duplication of work efforts where possible;
- Increase knowledge of each other’s standards development activities;
- Utilize the resources of UL Standards & Engagement to strengthen local standards system
- Allow for the adoption, reference, translation, and use of UL standards in China (as determined to be appropriate by SZSTI).
UL Standards & Engagement is a globally recognized developer of safety, security and sustainability standards with nearly 1,900 standards and other documents in publication. The organization is an accredited developer of national standards for the United States and Canada as well as an authorized developer of national standards for Mexico.
Shenzhen Urban Public Safety and Technology Institute is authorized by the municipal industry authority to develop specifications and standards. SZSTI has compiled several local standards which have been approved and issued by the standards authority.
The agreement is expected to foster harmonization between American and Chinese standards and strengthen Shenzhen’s local safety infrastructure system.